Monday, September 19, 2016

OOTD: Big Dipper









Those of you who follow me on Instagram probably know that I got matching big dipper/little dipper tattoos with my little sister last month. We've wanted to get matching tattoos for as long as I can remember, and our mutual love of the stars made constellations a perfect option. We settled on the big dipper/little dipper combo because we're each others' big and little sisters. Now that I've written the official background story on the internet, I assume I'm free to tell bs stories to strangers who ask about the meaning of my tattoo in the future... Right?
I've wanted to get a wrist tattoo since I was 16. I planned on getting one several months after turning 18 to celebrate going a year without self-harming, but encountered some issues with my parents. Placing a tattoo, a permanent piece of art, on a part of my body that I used to punish when I was experiencing a particularly rough bout of depressive symptoms, seems like an appropriate way to both honor my past struggles and constantly remind myself of the hope that I have for the future. I've been free of self-harm since October 20, 2015, and I've made tremendous strides in my treatment since then. I'm proud to be able to look at this inscription on my body and be reminded of what I've been through and one of my biggest supporters and reasons to live: my sister.
/

No comments :

Post a Comment