Thursday, December 29, 2016

What's Next


Now that I've officially signed my letter of employment and have been approved for my apartment, I finally feel comfortable announcing what I'm doing after graduating: I'm moving to New York!


I'll be working on the social media team for INSIDER. I was actually hired alongside a fellow Influence Her Collective blogger– Tomi from GoodTomiCha! I'll be living in Brooklyn, just a short 45 minute commute to my job in midtown New York. These plans come after months of trying to figure out my post-grad plans along all while doing the work to actually graduate. I applied to 42 jobs (though I have a list of over 100) and contacted the owners or roommates of nearly 70 apartments in my search. In the end, it all worked out.


I've been dreaming of NYC since I was a child. When I announced my plans to one of my oldest childhood friends, she reminded me that we'd planned to move there together when we were nine years old. We used to act out this fantasy with our American Girl dolls, pretending that they were balancing the glamor of the city with the demands of their powerful careers. We'd stay up late talking about what we wanted our apartment to look like, what we wanted to wear, and where we wanted to work. We were growing up in a small town, but we were ready for the big city.


My parents noticed that I was going to be a big-city girl at a young age, and my mom took me to New York as my Bat Mitzvah present when I was 13. This trip only affirmed my aspirations. When I got to college, I began working on ways to make my dream come true. I applied for internships in New York the summer between my sophomore and junior year to no avail. Despite this let-down and feeling of failure, when it came time to make my post-grad plans, I decided to try again. I'm glad I kept pushing for my dream, as my efforts and set-backs are really paying off.


I'm so excited to embark on this amazing journey, and I can't wait to share it all with you.


1 comment :

  1. Congratulations Hannah!! Sending you love and wishing you the very, very best!

    ReplyDelete